Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Altapass, North Carolina history


 I had to pause in enjoying my homemade apple pie a la mode to record this photo for you!  In no time there was just an empty bowl...and smiling elder.

 While my much younger friend enjoyed hers, I spied the "history of Altapass" sign over on the post.  But I had to watch some of the more limber folks dancing to the music...Sunday afternoons at Altapass are live music and dancing! Free. And lots of those folks wore their clogging shoes (which are maybe like clogs, but I think more specifically designed for dancing.)




 It was a huge wall map, so I've tried to capture little bits in each photo.

 If you received any North or South Carolina history in school, you must have heard of some of the big Revolutionary War battles, of which Cowpens SC, and Kings Mountain NC are spoken of.  I learned of them through my various ancestors in my family tree (though I was raised both in Texas and Missouri, so didn't learn about this history in school at all!)










 I was particularly glad to see other elements of local history were also shown...here a little bit about the first Americans to live in this area...












 This is the weather we had for driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway...and I was so happy Teresa was driving this trip!

10 comments:

  1. ...I noticed Spruce Pine on the map, I've been there several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Tom? Why would you go to Spruce Pine? Something about the mining done there? Or maybe to Penland Crafts School?

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    I see a few places on the map that were seen or read about during our recent road trip. Apple pie and ice cream would be my favorite, yum! Have a happy day and a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I put so many maps up...it's a bit confusing. But yes, if you went on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you probably saw lots of these places.

      Delete
  3. There's nothing better than homemade apple pie and ice cream. It's one of my all-time favorites. I have never been to that part of the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...and I seldom make an apple pie since there's just me to eat it. Maybe I'll carry one with me to my son's family next week. you've made me think about it! Of course two days in the car must be considered, but there's always ice for the cooler. I'll check and see if my cooler is big enough to hold a pie pan!

      Delete
  4. Ok now I want some of that pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now am thinking about making one (see my last comment) Of course I'll be visiting a family of 5, so that means I can get away with just one piece out of the pie...a much better option than eating the whole thing!

      Delete
  5. Such a history-rich place we live in/near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to find a re-enactment around here one of these days. Just don't know who publicizes them.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...