Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

A taste of Sylva's show - The Western NC Pottery Show

We couldn't have asked for a better day for an outdoor pottery show!   What cool air and warm sun...and of course a few fall tree colors too.



 I'm going to share a booth of potter, John Bauman.  He had posted a lot on Facebook ahead of the show...and honestly that was the most advertising I saw.  Sylva apparently doesn't have a lot of potters out on social media...or nothing made it to Black Mountain's venues.  Or I'm on the wrong mailing lists...not buying the ceramics/pottery magazines these days.



Thanks John, and I hope you had a good sale.  And an easy ride back to Warsaw, Indiana! I'm drinking out of my new mug this morning!


The venue was large and could have had a lot more potters.  A big gravel faced field was much better than along a street! And we found parking right across the tracks (perhaps loading usually for the backs of the stores.)


 We decided to start in the middle...and enjoyed this couple's pots, and even came back later.

 I caught Jim Reinert doing Sudoku later on. I do wish the booths had said where the potters were from (as they usually do.)

 We decided our friend Judy would have loved this!  I did get a lovely mug from him, loving the glaze and slip and stain combos. It wasn't until I got my new mug home with his card tucked in it that I discovered where Jim was really from...Owosso MI.  That happens to be where my ex-husband was born. Small world...and yet a long way from Sylva, NC!

My Jim Reinert mug.

Next door along...beautiful merged glazes.

 Some interesting glazing and textures by Suzanne Rehbock!

 Work by Kaname Takada

 Jill told us her purples are ash mixed with colorants, but it's ash from other's fires, so she never knows what kind of wood it is.


I'll not overwhelm you with the rest of our first row of potters...more to come, perhaps interspersed with other things as well.  There were 46 potters in the program, and I did miss a few.

Incidentally, the show's move from Dillsboro was based on some construction due to happen in downtown Dillsboro, which may take 3 years!  I think a lot of the usual potters who showed in the past have gone somewhere else this weekend (like the Shelby indoor show which is the same day, but is not juried...we went to it last year and saw a lot of amateur work in with some well made pottery.)

6 comments:

  1. nice to see some different potters, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes, it's always fun to see them, but picking up their works was also a fun experience.

      Delete
  2. ...love;y things, I like the acorn on the handle of the mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too...since John makes oak leaves and acorns on his bigger works, the tiny acorn was a good emblem of his trade

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was a varied and well-juried show.
    You bought some beautiful mugs
    Isn’t it fun to meet in person potters you only know from blogs, FB etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so beautiful and I really like your mug. I like those animals too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...