Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Big teapot

I wanted to make a teapot which would hold enough for a couple of mugs-worth, and maybe 4, in case friends wanted to share a pot.  Mugs are generally 10-12 oz.  So my goal was 40-48 oz. Yes, I made it, and it pours without a dribble (another potter's goal!)

 Glazed in shiny green with some areas of white sponged into it, it both has translucence over the white clay, as well as some interesting flows of color blending. Unfortunately, shiny glazes are really hard to photograph!
 A little crack appeared by the handle (look closely at the white area.) It won't keep it from functioning, but alas, it makes it a second.


With all the reflected light, it's hard to see the other crack at the other end of the handle. These were in the finishing clay which were just coils to smooth the handle around the pot.

Sunlight below gives a bit of a chance to see the changing colors of these glazes.
 A bit of a tipsy spout, eh? The spout always does a bit of "unwind" from when it was thrown on the wheel, and I thought I'd corrected for that, by making its opening a bit skewed...but either that was the wrong direction or I didn't do it enough!


Maybe I'll try some indoor shots, but diffuse light may not work.

5 comments:

  1. Hello,

    The shiny green teapot looks great, it is hard to find the crack. I like it, well done! Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eieen...I started carrying it with handle when full, then thought better of it and placed a hand underneath!

      Delete
  2. ...and with quite a handle too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found these big handles make teapots pour so easily, like a watering can!

      Delete
  3. I have only one comment to make... GORGEOUS! If that is considered a second... wow, I love it, tipy sput and cracks and everything. Love the colours reflecting in the glaze, just super.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...