Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thoughts from a hobby potter about the business side

I never thought I'd proudly state I'm a hobby potter.  But after retiring from being a Seniors Activity Coordinator and finally making as many pots and sculptures as I wanted, I found that it's really a hobby.

I don't want to produce a zillion of one thing, which production potters do. Studio potters make the same-thin-only-better-over-and-over also. Each time is critiqued, and the next replication should have improvements. I get bored pretty quick doing that.

But I do admire the perfectionistic potters, and the sculptors who copy things from photos...often of other people's works.  My ethics keep me from using the designs of another artist...even to the use of replicating patterns onto clay. Sure things from a kitchen store might be fun to play with to see how pretty those leaves look on a pot...or even a rope. But for me, I want my designs to be totally mine.  I might use a photo of an animal, or a scene - both of which I hope would be taken by myself...and then use it to inspire my own development.

But let me also sing the praises to those who do make pottery for a living. It's hard work! I purchase what I can, to keep their livelihoods going. It's kind of hard when my cupboards are also full of my own works.

And I am not a good business person. The retail side of selling pottery is not really comfortable for me. I used to sell for 3 hours every Saturday during 6 months of the year at our Tailgate Market here in Black Mountain. I sometimes still cart pottery to an indoor show to sell. But I don't enjoy much of that process any more. I may back away completely one of these days.

But I want to give you a story about a pottery business which I read today. I first saw it in the NC Clay Club site. 
Here's the Link to Business of Home's article.  But I'll also copy a bit below.

A tiny mistake cost East Fork $66,000. Then customers started giving the money back - the title of an article in Business of Home.  

A tiny mistake cost East Fork $66,000. Then customers started giving the money back

The East Fork Pottery is local - manufactured in Asheville NC.  Three founding potters, Alex Matisse, John Vigeland and Connie Matisse now have 70 employees.  

A tiny mistake cost East Fork $66,000. Then customers started giving the money back

They sell their seconds (tiny mistakes made in about 30% of their wares) on line with a discount. That's how the mistake happened...in 4 minutes the discount was applied twice to 2000 orders. They discovered it and took it down...apparently they do business on Instagram.

And just because I found this interesting, here's another quote from the article:

As it turns out, discounting errors are made by companies large and small, old and new. Last year, the country’s biggest Burger King operator mistakenly gave customers Value Meal prices on regular purchases for six months. The loss? $8.2 million. Online, technical complexity makes such errors even more common. To pick one example from hundreds: Last year, as part of its Prime Day run of promotions, Amazon mistakenly discounted bundles of photography equipment. For 40 minutes, customers were able to buy $2,000 cameras for $95.
A tiny mistake cost East Fork $66,000. Then customers started giving the money back
East Fork’s founders: Alex Matisse, John Vigeland and Connie MatisseCourtesy of East Fork


8 comments:

  1. ...for 50 years I was in the nursery business something that I enjoyed, as a side line I made Christmas wreaths every year. What started as a sideline became a mini-business. Soon things could out of control, now I make what gives me pleasure, it needs to make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Glad you've got time to do just what makes you happy!

      Delete
  2. Thank your for sharing the East Fork article. It was interesting to read how they handled that error. STARworks ceramics makes a clay called East Fork Red that they formulated with East Fork Pottery. Our ash glazed ginkgo leaf pots are all thrown with East Fork Red. It has a great feel when your throwing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful too. I'm glad that you all are using that clay.

      Delete
  3. I was just shocked at the loss of $66,000 price tag, geez; I'm with you I don't want to make the same thing over and over again but to sell and pay some bills sometimes I must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see potters who do make their living at their craft. I'm in awe!

      Delete
  4. Selling at craft shows is hard work -- I did a little years ago with quilts and various hand sewn items. It's kinda soul-sucking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, putting your hard work (especially creative things that you've spent quite some time making) out to have others critique it, and maybe reject it...it kind of takes a tough skin. But you still do that with your writing in a way.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...