Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Friday, April 10, 2020

Back into container gardening

I took outside onto the front porch, several of my potted plants which have been on the windowsills all winter. And I took a couple ready to re-pot, which haven't been so happy lately.

My bags of potting soil have been stored on the balcony in a big plastic tub, which is located under a sculpture called my "Spirit House." It had a plant inside last year, a coleus I think. And as it froze over the winter, there are lots of leaves and a bit of dirt inside.  I saw a bird fly out a week or so ago, and I thought she must have been taking some of the plant material. But now for the second time, while I'm moving pots around, after I'm finished she took off out of that little house.




I looked closely to see if there was a nest, but it must be around the corner, in a protected part of it. I dare not lift it up to see...and I dare not move it so I can get at my potting soil.  I hope she comes back and raises her babies there. But whenever I'm around of course, she's silent, and I have no idea whether she's there or not. The invisible bird.

So in another week I'll try the re-potting game, if I don't hear/see any evidence of her nesting there.

A root bound Lavender plant...waiting till I can transplant it into another pot.

The gardenia has lots of new leaves budding out. I water it regularly, and have been waiting for a rain but tonight (April 9) there's a small possibility of frost. So everything is snugged up against the house under the little roofed portion of the porch.

 This planter will probably have four o'clocks in it again, since some will probably volunteer, but I've got lots of seeds too!
This planter has a dead geranium and is slated to either help the lavender or the rosemary plants, when I can get at some more dirt!

I've got several bulbs of peonies, which I want to also plant into pots. Yes, I have many pots, but not many large ones.


I'm going to give a quote for the day...just because.

If I can do no more, let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. -Louisa May Alcott, writer and reformist (29 Nov 1832-1888)

An important post about help for artists HERE. 


4 comments:

  1. I have lots of pots with soil but no plants, and anyway it's too early to plant outside here. Snow on the ground this morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother grew 4 o'clocks, the lavender looks like it needs some water? I planted my vegetables early and now have to dover them at night, I have buckets and milk cartons and the like every night id drops below 50 ugh, hope it's worth it in the end

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this amazing article on Alchemy of Clay:Back into Containergardening I was Just searching for flat roofs pembroke pines and found this amazing website of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...