Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Testing glazes


My collection of Maco Stroke N Coat and Designer Liner...I keep the little jars upside down because chemicals accumulate on the bottom with gravity, so now when I shake them up, whatever is closest to the top is actually the most potent part of the glaze, (and if I've let them sit for about a month without using, they still can dry out, but are responsive to reconstituting with water.)    I also have the whole bunch in a carrying bag because sometimes I work at home, sometimes at the Black Mountain Center of the Arts community clay studio.

These are waiting for glazing.  The first test I did came out pretty awful.  Yes, 2 of these vases went directly into trash.  I'm glad I waited the week it takes for a turn around of the glaze kiln.  Now the others will have a better chance.  There are a lot of students in classes, as well independent studies students (like myself) who have several pieces in each kiln that is fired, so we all wait our turn.

Community studios have their pluses and minuses.  I keep being  patient with the things that aren't the pluses.

Today's quote (which reminds me of the recent kitchen gatherings prior to the feast of Thanksgiving.  Not to mention those wonderful courageous women who took part in the Women's March last January!)


There was a time where women stood together in a bond of sisterhood, women supporting women.
 






2 comments:

  1. do they get diluted if you reconstitute with water ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can get too watery so thinning has to be pretty careful. But we need to apply 3 coats to get a consistent coverage of these with brushes. They unfortunately don't look like watercolors when applied thinly...especially over stoneware clay...but sometimes the brushstrokes still show.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...