Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Isaac Norman 1765-1828

With all the ancestors I chase around (on my blog Three Family Trees, you'd think I would jump at the opportunity to link to a photo of a cemetery.

So how about one of the few in which I've found an ancestor of my own? I think I'll re-post some of the photos I took at that time, and share it on both my blogs!  Nothing like a triple whammy, er double!

This is my Sepia Saturday post for #402.


SEPIA SATURDAY 402 : 20 January 2018
GRAVEYARDS : DEATH : MEMORIALS : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS

Looking for Isaac Norman's grave...
on a trip up to Indiana a few years ago...my first stop was the wrong one...but pretty area in KY where his family lived once.  HERE

He left a will, which gives September as his date of death, but the tombstone says July.  See this blog for info about that!

Here's more from my blog about Shelbyville KY...a great little town! 

So here's the post where I actually found his headstone...I'll cut and paste it so you don't have to go to the link!
-------------------------------------------------
 Friday, May 1, 2015

I'm going to share my exciting adventure of finding the grave of my ancestor, Isaac Norman.  Who?

My mother's mother's mother's...oh you know lots of mother's back there.  Actually in my reckoning, which is the system I devised going back from my grandchildren as generation 1).   This Isaac Norman would be generation 10).  I am generation 3). So he's my 5th great grandfather!

(12) Isaac Norman ( 5 Oct 1682 - 7 Apr 1748)
(11) Joseph Norman (1708-16 Feb 1784)
(10) Isaac Norman II (1735 - 1776)
(9) Mary Margaret (Polly) Norman Conn (23 Mar 1792 - 13 Dec 1833)
(8) Hannah Conn Booth (1818-1884)
(7) Richard R. Booth (1846-1879)
(6) Eugenia Booth Miller (1873-1936)
(5) Mozelle Miller Webb Munhall (1897-1960)
(4) Mataley Webb Rogers (1917-2003)
(3) Barbara Booth Rogers (1942- ?)

I've posted several times already about him, a veteran of the War of 1812, Here and Here, and HERE when trying to find his grave.

I also noted that I used to have his generation numbered incorrectly.  Oops.  It's my own system and somehow I jumped him back earlier.  SO hopefuly this is the right amount of generations removed.

And here is my story from last week's actual finding of his grave marker.  (I believe the monument was erected a while after his death, but I don't know when.)

There was no "google map available" when I got into the area of Elk Creek.  So I stopped at a convenience/gas store and asked the clerk.  Fortunately the woman behind me in line knew where the Elk Creek Baptist Church was to be found, off the Old Road on your left.  I went down the Old Road (which had a numeric designation) and it had a "y" and I took the right side, to find many new homes.  Not the Old Road obviously.  Going the other way, I soon saw a beautiful antebellum home through the trees.


And it was situated on Elk Creek!





The Elk Creek Baptist Church had a huge cemetery.

My thinking went that the original founders would be buried close to the church, and here was Isaac Norman's monument right next to the drive.

I left my flowers, and took a lot of pictures.

South face, Isaac Norman, born Aug 25, 1765, Died July 22, 1828
A different person's statistics were carved on each of the 4 faces of the monument.


 

West face, Hannah G. wife of Isaac Norman, born Apr 20, 1762, Died Feb 28, 1845
I had not expected to find 2 more names on the marker. Who were they?
 East face, Abner Norman, born Dec. 30. 1789, Died Jan. 2. 1856. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
 and the other was...

North face, Frances, wife of Abner Norman, born Apr 4, 1788, died March 28, 1864
 Frances Northmore Redman was Abner's wife.  Her marker was really hard to read however.

Frances was the last one to die in 1864, who is memorialized on this marker.  Who might have been the ones burying these elders?  Frances and Abner had a lot of children, several of whom lived into the 1920s.  So I can't speculate on that today.


View of east and north faces of monument, with my car
The Norman marker, center with flag

I did look at other markers nearby, and found the Van Dykes married a grandson of Isaac Norman, Solomon Redman Norman, and many of the graves in that area of the cemetery were of their sons and daughters.

So I said goodbye to these ancestors and went on down the road.  And thanked them for giving me life, to pass along to my own children and hopefully to many more descendents one day.
 ---------------------------------

Today's quote:


Confucius wrote: “There are three things which the wise man holds in reverence: the Will of Heaven, those in authority, and the words of the sages. The fool knows not the Will of Heaven and holds it not in reverence: he is disrespectful to those in authority; he ridicules the words of the sages.”
And: “He who does not understand the Will of God can never be a man of the higher type. He who does not understand the inner law of self-control can never stand firm. He who does not understand the force of words can never know his fellow-men.”



11 comments:

  1. I'm always finding little errors after I've posted my blog entry and often have to go back and correct it. I like the way you trip to the grave yard almost reads like a travellogue. What a wonderful find 2 more names. It's always worth going and having a look yourself as you never know what you will uncover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s wonderful when you finally find the grave of your ancestor. I only did this once, with my great uncle buried in the WWI grave in France, and it’s sad but uplifting at the same time. You must have felt proud - of yourself for finding him, and of him for the passing on of his genes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun. I love adventures like this, especially when you find what you are looking for. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good when you find the memorial you're looking for. Do you know how Abner was related to Isaac?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Jo, Abner was the 5th of his 10 children. Sorry, should have mentioned that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an impressive grave marker! And to discover other family names and details as well -- how wonderful, and gratifying, after your long search.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This past summer I took my mother to see two cemeteries. The first cemetery is outside DC where her parents are buried and it is quite large. Over the years it has greatly expanded and now has markers for many new ethnic/national people who prefer very different styles of gravestones. The stone shapes and materials are different, and some have images of the departed engraved on the stone. A large number were in Korean, Chinese and Cyrlic scripts.

    The second cemetery was where my father's parents are buried and it's in a small town which we haven't visited in many years. Nonetheless my mom easily remembered the exact location of the grave markers. We took several photos of the markers including the one of my uncle and his wife who both died 10+ years ago. This past week my mom found a old snapshot of the two of them proudly standing next to that same marker which they had just had installed on their plot. The date of deaths of course not yet engraved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fine response to any graveyard Thank You For Giving Me Life .
    And, a 4-cornered memorial stone has a good symetry about it.
    Thank You for sharing Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How courteous of Grandpa Norman to be buried where he was easy to find. It took me quite a while to figure out where my gggrandmother was buried because even with a map, the little paths and roads through the cemetery were tricky to follow. She has no marker. My guess is that she outlived her son, so maybe daughter-in-law didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found graves for several of my ancestor but have been unable to find my great grandmother Celia Rice Cleage Sherman's grave, even though I know what town she is buried in. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A hopeful venture with a happy ending and a plus (finding other engravings) besides. Good photos to commemorate the find, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...