Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

A short walk in the woods

Two views, about 6 months apart.  The leaning tree still stands on July 1, 2018.  Flat Creek has had a major flood back May 29-30 of this year.  These stones have been tossed into new areas.



What Flat Creek looked like with some ice forming on it back on January 6,  2018. Note the wide shallow water area.

These shots (above) were taken from the bridge which connects to walks along the far side of the creek.


January 2017 look toward the bridge from the tree that bends down, and the big rock situated slightly mid-stream.

Now there's a little bit of dry land going towards the rock (July 2018)  Perhaps it looks different after a rain still.

But that's not all the flood did to the creek.

 As I walked to the bridge from the parking lot, I looked over to see dry land and a man sitting next to a new little swimming hole, as well as some tree trunks and debris that are new from the flood.

 I stepped on the bridge, glad to find that it's either been repaired or at least kept up so walking folks can get to the trail which goes along the creek bed up to Montreat, and another trail which goes up to a lookout area.  I've never taken either of them since they climb pretty steeply.

 Looking from the bridge (that's its post in the left foreground) into the little swimming area with a bit of a stone dam across the smallest part of the creek.


The man and boy are over on the rocks.  A ford still exists going through the creek from right to left, where vehicles go for Montreat road maintenance beyond that road area on the left. See enlargement of people below.




 This is as far as I walked last Sunday.



The first step on the earth as I left the bridge, I stubbed my toe (wearing "Nothinz" plastic shoes, which are enclosed but perforated) on an exposed root in the path.  There were a lot of raised roots.  I kept walking about 5 minutes, when my foot began to hurt (and swell up inside my shoe).

So I tried going about my day, going to church, home for lunch, to the studio to pick up some mugs that just were glazed, and to pick up some fast food for dinner.  By then I realized my foot was more injured than just a sore toe...and continued to ice it and elevate it.  It really hurt to put my full weight on it.  At the studio someone bumped into me as I turned around, and when I put my weight on that foot I screamed and almost blacked out.  I had a friendly offer to carry my box of mugs to my car, and I left them in it when I got home...no more walking than absolutely necessary!

And on Mon. morning I made a doctor's appointment, for that afternoon.  I could walk better, and could see the bruising both above and below my toe...so gladly took the offer from a friend to drive me over to the doctor...and canceled my regular Monday activities.


Following a quick appointment and having a decaf visit with my friend, I did as the Physician's Assistant recommended, and switched to soaking my toe in hot salty water.  That felt good, but only lasted about a half hour.  Fortunately my foot didn't hurt enough on Mon. to take any pain relievers.  Staying off my feet really has helped.  And not being broken (though the treatment would have been much the same) was a relief...it's a contusion apparently.  If the swollen part gets infected, I'm to go see the nurse in the doctors office.  I am not at all interested in taking antibiotics if not absolutely necessary.  The pulmonologist wants to put me on them all the time.

I'm feeling pretty fortunate.  Though I admit I'm also feeling a bit s--t faced, embarrassed that I couldn't just be ok, but a stubbed toe knocked me out for a few days.

Today's quote:

Because we are spiritual beings, we have the ability to rise above habits and patterns to see the truth
 

3 comments:

  1. Actually since the flood damaged the lovely Roberts park up in Montreat which was designed for kids and families to play in the creek, this is a good alternative...a more natural swimming hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how different the rivers and creeks can look after heavy rains. We have a little creek on our property and with all the rain we had earlier it really swelled. Much like your toe. Hope it is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it's not broken! And that walk -- or the pictures of it -- look quite cooling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...