Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Behind the scenes

Making pottery doesn't just happen.  There are two main ways that I do it (and probably many others). I call these ways as 1) Throwing on the Wheel, or 2) Hand Building.

If you like pottery, you may have a preference.  If you make it, you probably do too, but spend some time with both techniques.  I've been playing with combining them lately.

 A pitcher with some tucks taken, a handle added, and a pieced spout.  The basic pitcher was thrown. A pulled handle was added, and the tuck meant waiting till it was just firm enough to cut into it's side, remove a wedge, and push it back together, leaving the concave portion behind the handle.



A similar pitcher which I sold to a friend recently...and she would like another one like it. 

I'll show you tomorrow how I piece a slab into the pitcher to make the spout area.  I don't know how various pro potters do it, but this way seems to work for me.




5 comments:

  1. love that second pitcher, is the interior the glaze you modify ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, I do both the hand building and wheel throwing, but tend to prefer the wheel throwing. Have only been at it for a few years and am definitely an amateur. I seem to enjoy sculpting little critters (hence the cheeky chickens on my blog) the most... and don't know if that falls into the hand building category or a category all it's own. Your pieces are amazing, and I really like your yoga cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the last one, the one that I already sold, has the mason-stain in white satin glaze for its interior. Outside just has Mayco designer liner in white, with a coat of Matt Clear over it. The contrast really pops out the turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post was featured in Pottery Making Information at
    http://www.potterymakinginfo.com/news/clay-blog-review-january-2018/
    Thanks for the honor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...