Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Monday, March 18, 2024

New glaze, old pot

 I somehow had two vases that had been bisque fired in 2020 when I stopped going to the clay studio in Black Mountain.

They sat in boxes in my apartment as the pandemic passed, and I again returned to the studio this February. And now it's the middle of March, so I brought them in and glazed them last week. There are SO MANY studio glazes!


I chose a white liner, and then two dips into glossy green, first the bottom part, then after that dried, the top. It means pouring the white glaze into the vase, swishing it quickly around and pouring the excess out. Then that glaze has to dry a while (maybe an hour) before the clay can absorb the next glaze.

Before I start any glazing, I paint liquid wax all over the bottom and a 1/4 inch up the edge so no glaze will be on the bottom of the pot.




As you can see, there's a space between both the greens. But isn't bare clay. I dipped the top again into the white glaze, but it was very runny, and acted just like a clear glaze. Sometimes it gives mottled effects on the green, but not this time. If I make more vases, I'll try again!

Pardon my screen saver background...I have so much stuff around my house, there's no clear wall to photograph pottery against.


Today's quote:

When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him. -Bayard Rustin, civil rights activist (1912-1987)

7 comments:

  1. I like how the vase turned out, very pretty. Take care, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a great green, nice to see you back in the studio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice glazing, Barb! It always gives me a small joy when works from my past appear; toes crossed it does the same for you.
    ..........suzi/smartcat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy seeing your posts (now on FB) of some of your older work . Thanks for stopping by Suzi.

      Delete
  4. Nice to get work finished, even after a long wait. That is a nice green glaze

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...