Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Friday, March 29, 2024

A process

 Clay comes in a big bag. Heavy. Plastic which keeps it from getting dried out and hard.

Cut some off and then wedge it down (to make sure no air bubbles are in it)

Roll it through a wonderful slab roller device, where the clay becomes thinner and thinner each time.

Then cut, tear and assemble any way you wish.

So besides dragons (more on Number 4 in a minute) I needed some new orchid flower pots.


In process...


This is as the clay is drying, at it's most fragile stage before being bisque fired to cone 06...about 1300 degrees F.

If I want to stain or glaze it, I then can do that before firing it to cone 6...(2330 F) quite a bit hotter, which vitrifies the clay such that it will be food safe, or in my case, hopefully mold safe.

I may add color in some places. Haven't decided yet!

I did make 2 other flower pots, smaller. They are now finished bisqueing.










4 comments:

  1. ...I'll look forward to seeing its completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. They are waiting for me to decide what to do next...

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing the flower pot completed too. Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made three so far, and am not sure how I'll glaze them. Something that goes with nice big orchid leaves probably.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...