Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Gay Smith's pottery

 All potters admire other potters...all.

And we have a friendly way of sharing whatever has worked, or not worked with each other. I swear, as a beginner, I could ask some of the greatest potters in the area what their techniques were.

We all recognize pottery art is more than technique. So we admire each other's works.

I miss the blogger-potters who've hung up their clay spattered aprons and stopped selling on a spring-summer-fall tour through art festivals around the south-eastern US. And others too. Covid ate up an entire talented craftsman industry.

But some are still going strong, using galleries, teaching workshops, making partnerships. I'm so glad to be on mailing lists for some of the galleries, and of course I want to share some of the pottery that I love most!

Here's Gay Smith (Gertrude Graham Smith,) of Bakersville NC. 

She is showing in InTandem Gallery, in Burnsville NC.

https://www.intandemgallery.com/gertrude-graham-smith?category=Gertrude+Graham+Smith


I have a similar one of her mugs. But it's on a high shelf, and I can't reach that high to get a photo.

  • LOCATED: Bakersville, NC
  • MATERIALS: Porcelain cla
  • SURFACE: Glazes & Slips
  • PROCESS: Wheel thrown and altered. Gas fired to Cone 10 in soda kiln

I'm looking to make extraordinary pots for ordinary use, enjoyed everyday. My vessels celebrate liveliness, the soft responsive feel and motion of porcelain clay on the wheel. Forms and surfaces are altered while freshly thrown. Most of the work is raw glazed/single fired. Strong form/profile, tactile surfaces, and lively color are major concerns. In the kiln, flames filled with sodium leave luscious marks on anticipated edges.

Today's quote:

Our bodies are speaking to us all the time—and if we pay attention, we hear the gratitude they hold.

COLETTE LAFIA

4 comments:

  1. ...I like the shape and the green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really cool looking small mug. I found it difficult to drink out of, however.

      Delete
  2. That is a cool mug, I like the color and shape. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's a beautiful piece of pottery, but less functional for drinking. But sometimes a mug is a piece of art, not just another mug.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...