Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

a 'second'

Potters have many failures. If we didn't we wouldn't be stretching our (and clay's) limits to find the extent to which we can go, and no further.

So here's my first plate/shallow bowl which had an s-crack. I agree with John Bauman (blogger, potter) that I tried to dry it too fast.  He showed when the outer areas dry (and shrink) faster than the innermost ones on flat shapes, they cause s-cracks in the center.  I had slowly waited with it under loose plastic for a week, and the outside edges weren't white yet, but I put it uncovered in the kiln room.  Too early.  I should have let it dry uncovered until it was white green-ware on my shelf, then moved it to the kiln room where it is hotter.

And thus the bisque firing showed the S-crack (very small) was there.


So whether to bother glazing it or not, when I was pretty sure the crack would remain.  It didn't go through to the back side. If it had, I would have tossed it after it came out of the bisque kiln.

Sure, I could try some glaze overlays and thus see how they worked together.  Some Raspberry, some black, and some white.  Interesting results (remember them in case I ever want to use these combos again.) But the plate is a second.




My personal critique is that I like the edging effects, more with one glaze than another.  I am thrilled to see how white glaze over raspberry causes a grayish pebbled effect.  I don't like black over raspberry - where no red shows or makes a bit of difference. I like white over black...a nice grey also, but my application was uneven in pouring the glazes. Remind myself that one pour doesn't work if there are touch-ups.  I don't like trying to use glaze in the grooves on the foot...I'd prefer it to all be bare clay. I don't like the "wiped" effect with the white glaze, which looks better when left on the backside.  But having carvings that disappeared with glazes that don't break well, I did the wipe.

Glad I can make another one soon.

2 comments:

Thanks for your comments...