Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Friday, December 14, 2018

Memories from a young couple's first house


I'm posting for Sepia Saturday this week, which has a nice bedroom scene from 1910.


Sepia Saturday informs us...
Bedrooms! We spend a significant part of our lives there, but they may not be at the forefront as far as the photographic record of our lives is concerned. We probably have more photographs of the garden shed in our collections than of our bedrooms! Just in case this applies to you and you want to join in with this week's Sepia Saturday, you can always follow the jug, or the carpet or the window - or whatever. Whatever you decide to go with, do it on or around Saturday 15th December and add a link to the list on the SS page.

None of my older photos show a bedroom.  Mmm. Guess the fact that everyone usually was outside to have family group pictures taken might be a clue.  


So my contribution has taken some head scratching.  That must be where I think my ideas and inspiration come from.  Here's a Home Blessing that I found...from when I last moved the place I lay my head every night.  That was about 3 years ago.
Russ and Michelle in their first house in 1981...just moving in!  I came to see on a weekend!




 And here's a bedroom photo of me!  I had no idea until I waded through a few hundred files before I found I did indeed have a bedroom photo!  The guest room was between the upstairs back and front stairs, and Michelle used it as her office also.


 Waiting for my flight home to FL...Russ and I enjoyed a few moments to say goodbye. I notice that pre-cell-phone-era I still wore a watch to tell time!


And here Russ and Michelle stand in the dining room, before her family's dining room furniture arrived, and they removed the wall with the door to the kitchen...as well as the wallpaper.  I share this shot especially because it comes back to the floral wallpaper in the Sepia Saturday picture of the bedroom!  They actually painted the walls tomato red and they looked great with the Mediterranean furniture.



10 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos of you, your son and his wife. Enjoy your day and have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomato red walls for a dining room sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen, thanks for your comments!
    Vicki, the red walls and not having that kitchen/dining wall really made a nice family area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for some great matches to our theme! Over the years I've taken photos of weird wallpaper or ugly paint. All to prove that my decorating "after" was am improvement over what came "before."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about it before , but your right, watches are fading away these days! I guess due to cell/mobile phones...........in the same way that physical mailboxes /letter boxes will one day be a quaint curiosity to future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, I don't think I ever took before and after pics of home improvements. But I have done so with gardening attempts.
    Tony, I was surprised to see the gold watch on my arm, because for years I wore one of those little black digital watches. The gold one was self winding, and I still have it, but probably won't get it fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept wearing a watch until I got a Fitbit. I had trouble finding photos for the prompt too - you did well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's good to be forced to scratch our heads for these prompts. You shared some lovely family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see where the red paint would go much better with Mediterranean furniture than flowery wallpaper! And the café curtains in your son's first home reminded me of the muslin café curtains I used in the first cabins we lived in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the poem and congrats on finding a bedroom photo. You did better than me...all I could find was a photo of my bedroom window :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...