Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Monday, December 10, 2018

Giving back.


I've been receiving so much from my community.
I am giving back in whatever ways I can.

When the church recently went through some transitions, I've gladly filled in on some administrative tasks.

When I was asked, as potters frequently are, to donate an item for a charity (this time to help people receive heating bill assistance) I made a cat angel.  I don't know who or if anyone bought it.  But I have received heating bill assistance, so I thought it fitting to give an angel to the organization. At first I thought it was like asking the poor to help the rich, then I realized there are lots of people less well off than I am...so those are who I'm trying to help.  The affluent folks in the community dedicate some of their time to having these auctions and fund raisers to help the less fortunate.  I'd be pretty ungrateful if I refused.

A month ago I had been volunteering as a docent at the Swannanoa Valley History Museum.  They have closed for the winter, but I'll be doing that again in the spring.

There are so many volunteers among us.  When I used to go to the lunch program provided for seniors by the Council on Aging, many of the seniors were doing serving. I just found out that another church member volunteers for the  Bounty and Soul and Manna Food Bank distribution, which also gives free produce here at my senior apartments. It's a wonderful program and helps my weekly budget immensely.

And many of my friends volunteer to serve a free meal once a week at another church here in Black Mountain (contributions of $2 accepted.)  There is a very active social action committee at our church, providing support and outreach to many of the other local non-profits.

Did I mention that I volunteer once a week to open the pottery studio and provide information to other potters.  Lately I haven't been as active in the studio due to health issues.

Many senior friends help other seniors, in just pitching in whenever we meet.  I mentioned the woman in an electric wheelchair who's dog leash got caught on the axle Here.   This is a community of folks with helping hands.

I am not trying to shine my own halo, but just to give you a reminder that being elderly, broke, and chronically ill doesn't keep me from doing what I can.


3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    It is so nice of you to volunteer and to donate. It feels good to give back.

    Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for volunteering; it's a good a reminder for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I should volunteer more. I've done quite a bit over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...