Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, August 14, 2015

The makings of a teapot

Three of the 4 parts of a teapot


The handle is also thrown, as a big circle of a closed tube that is a circle in cross section.  It takes the longest to dry, having just one hole for gas escaping during firing.

Making sure the handle and spout line up is crucial
A few changes were made to the bees.  I worried that those black eyes might run, so took them back to just an outline.
I tried a Mishima technique, of carving the design, applying underglaze, then scraping away the glaze which would remain in the carved grooves.   I didn't have any underglaze to use, so used some Mayco designer liner glaze, which is pretty stable.

I need to practice much more on this technique, but for my first try, I learned a lot! 

I do plan to go back and smooth a bit more of the surface around the bee design.

Quote for today:


While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart.
St. Francis of Assisi

4 comments:

  1. SWEET looking teapot :) I throw my teapot handles too, and showed one on my blob today! I throw them solid, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great demo, how do you get the handle to stand up? and where is your hole for the air to escape ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The use of a hollow handle when it's leather hard means it will stand pretty well by itself...the hole is on the inside right about where you'll hold it on the opposite side from spout. Wish I'd put it somewhere else now.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...