Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Electronics and the internet

Time to think about a post for Sepia Saturday.  Either skip it, or come up with something from my files, or just use something I already want to share on Sepia Saturday this week! 


Alan has asked us,
" Whilst I am away you might want to turn your minds to television, shops and furniture - or indeed anything else you can find in our weekly theme image..."

I'm at a loss.  No furniture, TV, or shops in my photo collection.  I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

Entertainment?
Electronics?  I avoid all TV except a few shows I see on my computer. I have been retired 8 years this month.
I also am celebrating my life anniversary this month (thus the big header full of myself).

I don't know how many Sepians are also seniors, but I'd imagine quite a few of you might be.

I think I'll just link to a recent blog.  Ronni Bennett posts 3 times a week (recently reduced from 5 times so she can enjoy her retirement years more).  And this week she talked about how many seniors used the internet (Time Goes By).  How Comfortable are you Using the Internet?

You might have guessed that for low income and low educational achievement groups, internet adoption is much lower. And so it is for elders too:
”Older adults have lagged behind younger adults in their adoption, but now a clear majority (58%) of senior citizens [65 and older] uses the internet.”
- See more at: http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2015/08/how-comfortable-are-you-using-the-internet.html#sthash.n6M9a5Rf.dpuf
The results of a Pew survey said 58% of seniors (65 and older) use the internet, compared to other ages.  Ronni also mentioned that in 2000 it was only 14% of elders.
”Older adults have lagged behind younger adults in their adoption, but now a clear majority (58%) of senior citizens [65 and older] uses the internet.” - See more at: http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2015/08/how-comfortable-are-you-using-the-internet.html#sthash.n6M9a5Rf.dpuf

The dozens of comments following her post are also very interesting to me (and I weighed in on the topic as well.)  I hope you take a moment to go see what she has to say.  Obviously we are in the 58%!

I'd also be interested to know when you started using the internet...

Thanks for dropping by Alchemy of Clay (formerly Living in Black Mountain and When I was 69)





How Comfortable are You Using the Internet?

And what about other elders you know? Are they all online?
About a month ago, the Pew Research Center for Internet, Science & Tech released their latest survey about internet usage, something they have been measuring regularly since 2000.
”For some groups, especially young adults, those with high levels of education, and those in more affluent households, internet penetration is at full saturation levels.” reports Pew.
You might have guessed that for low income and low educational achievement groups, internet adoption is much lower. And so it is for elders too:
”Older adults have lagged behind younger adults in their adoption, but now a clear majority (58%) of senior citizens [65 and older] uses the internet.”
Fifty-eight percent??? ONLY 58 percent? Up from 14 percent in 2000? Pew makes it sound like this is good news.
- See more at: http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2015/08/how-comfortable-are-you-using-the-internet.html#sthash.n6M9a5Rf.dpuf

How Comfortable are You Using the Internet?

And what about other elders you know? Are they all online?
About a month ago, the Pew Research Center for Internet, Science & Tech released their latest survey about internet usage, something they have been measuring regularly since 2000.
”For some groups, especially young adults, those with high levels of education, and those in more affluent households, internet penetration is at full saturation levels.” reports Pew.
You might have guessed that for low income and low educational achievement groups, internet adoption is much lower. And so it is for elders too:
”Older adults have lagged behind younger adults in their adoption, but now a clear majority (58%) of senior citizens [65 and older] uses the internet.”
Fifty-eight percent??? ONLY 58 percent? Up from 14 percent in 2000? Pew makes it sound like this is good news.
- See more at: http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2015/08/how-comfortable-are-you-using-the-internet.html#sthash.n6M9a5Rf.dpuf

How Comfortable are You Using the Internet?

And what about other elders you know? Are they all online?
About a month ago, the Pew Research Center for Internet, Science & Tech released their latest survey about internet usage, something they have been measuring regularly since 2000.
”For some groups, especially young adults, those with high levels of education, and those in more affluent households, internet penetration is at full saturation levels.” reports Pew.
You might have guessed that for low income and low educational achievement groups, internet adoption is much lower. And so it is for elders too:
”Older adults have lagged behind younger adults in their adoption, but now a clear majority (58%) of senior citizens [65 and older] uses the internet.”
Fifty-eight percent??? ONLY 58 percent? Up from 14 percent in 2000? Pew makes it sound like this is good news.
- See more at: http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2015/08/how-comfortable-are-you-using-the-internet.html#sthash.n6M9a5Rf.dpuf

21 comments:

  1. Very comfortable on the computer and internet. We got our first computer about 1984. I started using the internet in the 1990s when I got AOL so I could participate in the homeschool area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great reason which I'd not heard or thought of before. Homeschoolers probably have benefited greatly with internet use.

      Delete
  2. I began using a word-processor in '95 & progressed to a computer within 2 years - advancing to email a year or so after that. At least that's how I remember it for now. I could be more certain if I checked my journals but I'm too lazy to get up & go look for them at the moment. How comfortable am I using the internet? Well, so long as programs & computers don't change, I'm perfectly happy. But they do change - much too often for me! I hate having to get used to new programs & new systems. It seems like I finally figure out how to use a program successfully & I'm cruising comfortably along with it and WHAM! I have to install a new program because the old program is being fazed out. So comfort on the internet as far as I'm concerned is a fleeting thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the frequent changing of programs supposedly to "update" features, and usually they are areas I don't use anyway.

      Delete
  3. I can't remember when i started using the internet but I know I am on my third computer and have had this one for about eight years. I still have the old one with a tower in a cabinet somewhere. Ha. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to have had computers available and getting better all the time in the last 20-30 years? Just don't give me upgrades every other day, please! My learning curve isn't that fast.

      Delete
  4. Barbara -- My son broke me into the computer world in the early 90s. I soon had my own computer when I realized that they were darn niffy to use. Young children still impress me with their use of computers -- ask a child a computer question and they can usually give you a technical answer -- impressive! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it Barb, the next generation which grew up on-line is really having a different experience of the world than we had!

      Delete
  5. I first started using the internet in '88 when I met my first computer, which had been loaned to us courtesy of my then-husband's job. His company was ahead of the ballgame back then, allowing restaurant managers to submit their daily sales figures via internet connection to the computer in our bedroom. I was entranced with it, taught myself DOS and various applications, was tel-netting around the internet, using Archie and Gopher, participating in BBSs, and learning IRC before anyone heard of the world wide web. I met that in '95 when I convinced my boss to subscribe to AOL, got my own first computer in '96 and have never looked back. Been earning my living working over the internet since 2002 and still love it. Although I have to admit it's a love/hate relationship at times, I know my way well around computers and the internet, and do my own (and sometimes my family's) maintenance, repairs and troubleshooting. Much of my life revolves around my computers, smart phone and the internet. It still entrances me as much as ever. I'm like the proverbial kid in the candy store with an insatiable appetite for what seems to be an endless supply of information! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chris, you are the "granny got the net!" Thanks so much for your detailed reply...I don't know what all those terms are even! But I do know the feeling of love/hate relationship with all things computer!

      Delete
  6. You're welcome and thanks, Barb! I'm pretty sure anyone who has anything to do with computers knows that love/hate feeling lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my first computer late in 1997 and started making web pages the following year. I am very experienced with the "old-fashioned" internet, but I don't use social media, smartphones, or the cloud at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha, there's now an "old-fashioned" internet...I had no idea! Perhaps it's the move from computers, to personal computers, to laptops to tablets and smart phones...I remember hearing how everything would get smaller and cheaper...some of it's happening!

      Delete
  8. I started using the computer in the mid 1980s, I guess. We must have gotten the Internet in the early 1990s, maybe. Shoot, I can't remember. We had AOL. The other day, I saw a post on Facebook from someone asking if we remember when we first got the Internet and whether we used Netscape or Alta Vista. OMG -- had totally forgotten about those browsers! In my post today, I commented that I can't remember not having a tv -- now I can barely remember not having the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Eudora at first, which was supported by a local network in St. Augustine, probably in 97 or so, then AOL became the big thing. Oh, and I had a modem which plugged between phone and computer too!

      Delete
  9. I think I qualify as a Senior and I’m fairly comfortable with IT - a bit of a gadget queen actually. I have family who love it too, perhaps that’s why. being in education really sharpens the focus too. I’d say I go back to c1980.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great...I'm glad to know someone with your experience!

      Delete
  10. Computers became part of my world in about 1982, but it wasn't until I retired in 1995 that I really started to use the internet. These days, I do most of my research online -- and grumble when documents haven't been digitized yet. Most of the books, periodicals and newspapers are read on my kindle. I'd like to say with all of this computer stuff that the piles of paper have been reduced,but not so. It's a grumpy day when my computer is down for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I agree completely. It's like the assumption that once we had all those kitchen gadgets women would have lots of time on their hands...I WISH! I am sorry that paper still exists, but perhaps just a little bit less in my life these days.

      Delete
  11. Love the shots of you throughout your life...fabulous!
    But computers are a different story. Used them to set type when I ran my own graphic arts business, but bought my first one for personal use in 1998 -- mainly to make writing novels much easier (and it is, mostly). Am unsure about society's reliance on them, though -- use of computers and social media gadgets have changed how our brains process information and relate to people -- usually not in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computers, and the internet, are tools. We forgot to learn how to use them for what they were intended in a lot of cases, while exploring all the options we couldn't believe they offered. Maybe communication will settle down eventually as still person to person.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...