Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Can you match that glaze?


I only have used two, maybe three yellow glazes.  All commercial mixed glazes you buy in a jar.

When a dear customer asked if I could make her a honey pot to match her tea pot, I said sure.  As soon as she gave it back to me, I shook my head inside.  It didn't look like the yellow glaze that had become my favorite, and that I had right on hand. That was a glaze I hadn't used in years.  Was it still available?

So off I went to Highwater Clay, the toy store for potters in the Asheville NC area.  YES. A butter yellow was still available, and on the shelf.

And when I put three coats on the honey pots (the second ones I made...more on that later), they came out a bit brighter, and with some touches of green in places.  Would my customer take them, I wondered.


The reason they were the second ones is that I kind of imagined too much shrinkage for the first two, and made huge ones. I haven't glazed them, and probably will toss them. Another learning experience!

Fortunately Gayle liked the second ones I made, and I never mentioned the first ones.

Why two, you may ask?  She had a friend who loved honey and wanted to give her one also.

Today's quote:


Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep” — Scott Adams, Creator of the Dilbert comic strip / Author.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it always the way... when you want something to match it doesn't! They look great though. Sweet tea pot. I really like the organic shape of the body.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...