Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Elements

Today is
WIND

Hard to see, until it hits something.

Easy to feel, being one of the somethings.  On my bare arm here sitting by the window.  So glad I have it open this morning.  Soon I may close it, bracketing away the heat as well as the wind.  I never realized that was being shut out as well.



The actual element is air.

Ah that's something I'm more familiar with.  Each inbreath.  Each sighing outbreath.  Thank you for the feast of breath that keeps my brain, my body, myself going.

Any yoginis out there?  I loved that my teacher Deb taught to do "alternate nostril breathing" without holding her nose.  I never quite got to that ability.

I think WIND is underappreciated because the only time it is mentioned in weather reports is when it's too much, destructive, to be avoided, fear-mongering.


The feathered serpent god of ancient natives in Meso-America was Quetzalcoatl.  (Isn't it great that science has only recently connected the birds and dinosaurs?)   Among the Aztecs, Quetzalcoatl was related to gods of the wind, of Venus, of the dawn, of merchants and of arts, crafts and knowledge.
 

Think of all the times you've appreciated wind.  The light breezes that move curtains of our bedrooms.

When a kite is carried aloft with such power, but you're connected to it.

As it blows scents you are pleased by towards you.  Coffee, vanilla, baking bread or cookies, new rain on dirt, flowers, the updraft when you stand on a rise of earth.
The tang from ocean or marsh.
The sureness that a pet is near, by yes, our own animal instincts.

So today I celebrate the WIND.  How about you?  Can you think of something I've missed?  Probably.  Thanks for your comments and reading my blog.





1 comment:

  1. This is neat. I like breezes, but wind puts me on edge. Probably because it reminds me of The Columbus Day Storm when I was 4.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...