Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Monday, April 25, 2016

Clay Studio in community sharing

I've been working in the clay studio almost daily, though for no longer than 3 hours.  I spend the first 15 minutes usually running a mop here or there.  By coming in early I can swab down about a quarter of the floor each day...before anyone else has to walk on it.  It's helping my cough considerably.

Staying away whenever anyone else is doing carving of leather-hard clay is also helping I think.  I also am changing my clothes as soon as I get home, so less clay dust is spread around in my apartment.

Below a table is a huge slab of plaster on which we recycle clay

This is not my personal studio, but a community studio.  I'm a member of the Black Mountain Center for the Arts Clay Studio, as an independent student and a volunteer.  My volunteer job is to open the studio once a week for 3 hours and monitor the other students who come to work on their own projects...during Open Studio time.

Mathilda is one of our teachers who also makes a lot of pots

Anyway, I usually create something each day I'm there, and sometimes finish something else.  And often I bring home things that I can paint my glaze designs upon.  Today was a throwing, trimming and bringing home day.  So my 3 hours were well spent, and I can now work on my own time doing some glaze painting at home.  I then go back to the community studio to use the glazes which are available to the students, as well as the kilns (loaded and fired by teachers.)

Pat has a background in chemistry and knows a lot about our studio glazes in these big buckets

We have 2 big Skutt electric kilns which fire to cone 6 for glazes

2 comments:

  1. what a great place to work, and look at all those glazes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a great place, Linda. I love all the glaze choices too!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...