Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, April 10, 2015

Mountain top removal, coal and horses


I can't find anything in my photos new or old that works with a poster ad to purchase coal, from the 1917 era.  I really like the art work of the poster. Horse, cart, man shoveling coal...thinking ahead to when it will again be cold. ... here's the link to Sepia Saturday... 



My first choice would be to show you some of the designs I created in art classes, which were fictitious ads...but they have all gone the way of many of our early projects.

Secondly I'd like to share something to do with the Mountain Top Removal in our Appalachian Mountains.  It's awful, to say the least, just to garner a few more tons of coal.




The effort by environmentalists, neighbors, health care workers, and anyone against using limited resources and leaving a wasteland, has been politicized for the last few years.  These efforts are beginning to make a difference.  But not before many mountains are ruined.

Appalachian Voices's photo




On Facebook last night I read this:

61% of North Carolina's electricity comes from coal, and half of that from mountaintop removal.  Today, state Rep. Pricey Harrison introduced legislation to phase out the use of mountaintop removal coal in N.C. Show your support for this important action!
 
 And here are the horses...from Traces of Texas, a lovely site on FaceBook which has given me lots of hopefully common photos, 'cause I've been saving them left and right.


Cleburne, Texas 1890...not just another market day.  A horse and mule auction.   Over 4,600 people "liked" this and 1,157 people "shared it."  I didn't count the comments, but read far enough to find out it was an auction, not just a parking lot.

11 comments:

  1. It was said in Arkansas that a man and his family could survive if they had 40 acres and a mule

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like a parking lot! I remember finding a column called "Horse Notes" in a late 1800s newspaper -- it was like used car advertisements today -- and understanding that "the more things change, the more they stay the same."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like the practice of mountain top removal. However, during the ages mountains have been both formed and removed by natural forces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those first two pictures are so sad. What awful scarring to such otherwise beautiful landscapes. The 3rd picture of the horse & mule auction fun! The horses look pretty calm for being in such close proximity. There must be occasional equine flare-ups I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an ugly sight...mountains so ruined. Great photo of the horse auction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here there talk about open cut mining more than mountain top removal, but the effect on the environment is similarly destructive, although safer for the miners than having to go underground, which has resulted in many awful disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I was scrolling down the page, I thought at first I was seeing the Grand Canyon until the trees came into view. The aerial view makes a powerful statement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad indeed to se those damaged mountains, but the horse fair looks like a rather noisy and possibly smelly, place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we are all agreed (after reading posts for today) that coal is dirty and dangerous and damaging to the landscape. Hope the bill passes in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mountaintop removal. That is quite upsetting. It's hard to understand how other people's minds work at times, to kill a mountain. That's even worse than taking the coal from underground.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been opposed to that form of coal mining for years even when I lived on the coast. It truly is an energy source that has no place in the m21st century world with all the alternatives available. The horse auction is a terrific image!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...