Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Bugs and moths, oh my!

 A new exhibit is just opened at the Black Mountain Center for the Arts. We went to the reception/opening last Friday. It included children's art, as well as a presentation on moth diversity by Lenny Lampel, a Natural Resources Supervisor with Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation’s Division of Nature Preserves and Natural Resources in Charlotte, NC.


A beautifully crafted moth is climbing the windows of the director of BMCA. 
It was made by Teresa Cote'






The ceramic artist, Libba Tracy was the organizing force behind this exhibit about bugs.


I greatly enjoyed the wonderful refreshments. The cheese tray was decorated with little bugs made of food stuffs. Other pieces were offered, and a "return the bugs bowl" was available in case you decided to eat the part that wasn't bug.




Half the fun of being at these openings is meeting other Black Mountain and Asheville residents that we've known from other places.


I enjoyed seeing these two huge arrangements of real flowers. This one was on the food table. The other was centered in the room.


On this wall we could see the art done by school students. Very well done - topic being bugs!


On to the gallery! I was thrilled by this wonderful ceramic bust.




Ann Lutz just started being a fiber artist, and refuted the term artist. But I noticed her piece had sold!




An actual moth was pinned in this tray, with other natural artifacts.

I must admit to only taking a few photos of this exhibit. These struck my fancy. I'm sure some of the other paintings, drawings and mixed media creations would be as lovely to others.

We had really a wonderful evening to enjoy the balcony area and chat with  friends.


I'm very glad I attended the presentation also. There I learned that of all the Lepidoptera species, the taxonomy of only butterflies and skippers is just one of about two dozen, while all the rest are moths. 


Today's quote:

 "My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate." Thornton Wilder, American playwright and novelist (1897 - 1975)


2 comments:

  1. ...the giant moth was created by Teresa Coté.
    https://www.instagram.com/blackmountainarts/p/C5YebHGLzXS/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out by calling the Center this morning! Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...