Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Painting the flowers

I have a line of vases with simple looking flowers on them.
But they aren't so simple to make.

I start with a thrown form, with indented sides, then add a little bead, which will become the flower's heart.

After the vase is bisque fired, I start by outlining the flower petals and the leaves and stems with designer liner by Mayco.

Then the tedious glaze painting comes.  At this time I put two coats of Mayco Stroke n Coat on each petal. 

Designer Liner is the way I outline leaves and petals.
As soon as the painted glaze is dry, I go over all those areas with liquid wax (which makes the colors pop out though not the designer liner details.)  Then I dip the whole piece into a glaze in our studio.
Once fired, the liner shows up again.

A three sided blue with black-eyed susans.  I've made 3 of these small vases in this color scheme. 


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I always enjoy seeing other potters' design methods. And the results are dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing this process. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed seeing the process that makes your beautiful work come to life!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I'd love to hear from you.. I do review (monitor) comments so I read them, but I'd rather share them!