Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Moon Dancers

Moon Dancer number two
This is the figure that I made when I started back to clay making in 2007.  And she graces my business cards, which reminds me that sculpture in clay is what I most love.  But nobody ever sees her back side, with the slit dress.  Just thought I'd let you see what the Moon Dancer looks like on reverse.

Moon dancer number two
Yes, she does have a front side.  And an older sister, since she is the second in the series.  Of two, so far.

Moon Dancer number one
I just made another dancer, who will be the white woman.  Last year's blue woman didn't measure up, and will eventually meet Mr. Hammer.  I love looking through old photos (which are taken soon after the pieces cool off from the kiln.)  Several of them were embarrassing, and have now been relegated to scrap.  It's only interesting to me to see what I thought and felt at the time, but failed to express at a level that I expect of myself.  I want to work more on movement and balance that's barely there in a figure.  I want to stretch beyond a "pose" and get more of the "caught in motion" sense in my work.  I've got a long way to go!

But now I need to get back to work on the Mad Hatter.

4 comments:

  1. I love these Barb - right down to the bases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, your Moon Dancers are beautiful Goddesses! And perfect representation for your cards.

    I also found my love is in sculpting. It's wonderful being able to sculpt isn't it? And amazing what comes from within through one's hands into the clay.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your lovely creations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki and Gayle. So glad to hear from you all. Vicki, what are your sculptures? Clay also?

      Delete
  3. Hi Barb. Yes, now I work with clay and am lovin' it! :)
    I'll be posting about my journey into clay in the near future. At the moment, I am making ceramic flatware christmas ornaments for markets - bread and butter, they sell really well.
    So, in the new year, I will be able to channel more energy into sculpting, can't wait!

    It's so nice to hook up with people who are like minded and love this earthy, ancient medium. I tried stone carving and while it is lovely, I much prefer using mostly my hands for tools.
    There's just something primal about clay, and it's not as hard on the hands :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...