Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Monday, September 17, 2018

Jomon Pottery


Jomon potter women

Let's go back to women potters about 10500 years bc...or maybe as late as 300 bc.
Cording suggests pottery originally copied net or roped vessels.





"All Jomon pots were made by hand, without the aid of a wheel, the potter building up the vessel from the bottom with coil upon coil of soft clay. As in all other Neolithic cultures, women produced these early potteries."

Source: Jomon Culture (ca. 10,500–ca. 300 B.C.) 




This is incredible detail of using coils, leaving them as decorative functions.


You may have little interest in all the archaeological data, but look at the pictures.  They are worth a thousand words.  These were made between 10,500 bc and 300 bc...before people there used a pottery wheel.  I love this picture of a rendition of how a potter might have looked working on one of these beautiful pots.


Their goddesses looked like....



"The people of the middle and late Jomon period also used clay to fashion small human figures. These figures were never fully realistic but rather were distorted into fascinating shapes. Called 'dogu,' they tend to have large faces, small arms and hands, and compact bodies.




Here is an article with some great photos about the potters from the Jomon period in Japan.

http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/jcn-11.html#tour

Isn't it great that women have made utilitarian pottery that included beautiful design for all these years?

4 comments:

  1. I love the chunky brute look of these, are you getting any rain, florence barely hit us, sad about your state being hit so hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my other blog, I posted several times about the storms. Living in Black Mountain NC, https://blackmountainbarb.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. It's fascinating to me that these pieces were made that long ago. They are gorgeous! Oh and to answer your question on my post today, that was water in my glass at Durty Nelly's. I learned my lesson a couple of years ago about drinking anything alcoholic for lunch when I'm traveling. I'll spare you the details, but it was not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lois...I too have learned the limits of this older woman and alcohol!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...