I used what was on hand, but this recipe could certainly be extended for more than one person if you'd like.
I find making good meals for one is a challenge, and often I go ahead and make 2 or more servings and have the left overs heated up the next day.
Chicken and Cashews on Brown Rice with Green Beans
- $0.20 Brown Rice 1 pound for about $1.25 - use 1 serving out of 1 c rice cooked before with chicken broth (This is a time consuming thing to cook, so I usually made 1 cup dry with 2-1/2 cups of chicken broth cooked for an hour, which served about 10, and I put the left overs in the fridge and eat it for a week.)
- $0.20 Frozen Green Beans - 1 serving out of 16 oz bag which costs around $2
- $0.23 cashews - 1 oz out of 13 oz, at 2.99 (This was my best buy today to find cashews so cheap)
- $0.58 Chicken, 1/2 breast - frozen bag of 6 for $7 - this is left over from last night when I thawed and broiled the breast and only ate half of it
- $0.05 Kikoman soy sauce, 3 dashes out of bottle
- $1.26 TOTAL cost of balanced, nutritious meal.
Everything was cooked in the microwave oven, total time was about 5 minutes. (Remember the rice and chicken were left overs) I've not calculated the cost of the electricity for cooking anything here.
Of course other people would use different spices. I like the blandness where I can taste the different flavors as I eat each bite,
Plate with raised edge and 2 glaze colors, made by this potter...$15