Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, March 31, 2017

Down by the seaside playin' in the sand!

1905 The seawall in Galveston TX, built following the 1900 disastrous hurricane.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jlJW7DouhYE/WLWNTEYB4CI/AAAAAAABVRw/IxJIqZRE5ww5MOkn4AdFmAVJy8_8WjdwQCPcB/s1600/17B-078.jpg

The Sepia Saturday prompt this week has some young boys playing in the sand! What an image! It's a photograph from the collection of the State Library of New South Wales which was taken in the 1940s. It features parts of both Billy and Graham Green.  Go over to Sepia Saturday to see what other bloggers might have come up with for this meme...scroll to the bottom where our names give links to our blogs!

 Here's a better shot of the Galveston seawall in 1905.

Sadly I never met my Uncle Elmore, who was a child in Galveston.

Elmore Rogers, born in 1906. He died from drowning in 1916. Elmore was my father's oldest brother, who he knew only until his second birthday because Dad was born in 1914. I had included here a copy of his death certificate, but withdrew it from this post, because I wanted to honor a 10 year old boy who was loved and missed by my family...and never talked about.

If people lived in Galveston, there was the Gulf of Mexico, and the bay always around.  Drownings probably happened frequently when children didn't watch closely how their play and the force of the Gulf of Mexico were merging with each other.


My granddaughter plays along the Florida beaches on the Gulf of Mexico, which is usually quite tame. (Those are someone's toes being carefully buried in the sand!)

My dad in a river in Missouri, where we grew up.  Being brought up in the midwest, I was thrilled when I visited the ocean.

My dad and his brother, Chauncey, in the top two pics, and my sis and myself with our grandmother in the bottom ones...at Galveston in 1948.  I know neither of us girls could swim then, so we were more or less wading, and carefully avoiding the waves. I'm sure my grandmother was very cautious.


My family of grands does love to play on the beach...does this remind you of the Sepia Saturday photo above just a little bit?

Today's quote:


Just because you are happy it does not mean that the day is perfect but that you have looked beyond its imperfections.
Bob Marley

13 comments:

  1. The buried grandchild looks like he's enjoying all the attention. Is your grandmother wearing long, black gloves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. Yes she is. These were the days before sun block, so maybe this was to keep from getting spots on her hands? I doubt it. Perhaps she had a rash and didn't want to give it to use kids. There's lots of speculation available here.

      Delete
  2. Your last photo is indeed a perfect match for this weekend's theme.
    I often encounter old newspaper reports of accidental deaths of children. The risk of death, for both young and old, was once closer and frighteningly more sudden. I don't think our ancestors were any less mindful or protective of children, but just that I think we modern folk here in the first world have experienced less personal tragedy. On the other hand those people living in the third world and in war zones know far more about random death than we will ever understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our litigious society has led to making every venue for children as safe as possible, and certainly not as much fun as mud, water, tree climbing and running wild once was. There still are many sad deaths of young people.

      Delete
  3. A great match And some interesting old photos of Galveston. Living by the sea we have learned to both love and respect its power. Here, we often have fishermen who are drowned by standing on a rock and being swept off by a rogue wave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I live in Maine, near miles of beaches, I've NEVER been buried in sand! I like all your grandchildren together on the beach...just having them all together is wonderful enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess there are still things that will continue to be out of our control!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only know about Galveston from the song. That's a pretty substantial sea wall they built there. Children love to play in the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hat-Tip To Mr Marley!
    And a hat-tip also to you Barbara for the sharing of Galveston.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know nothing about Gavelston and I loved the early photograph and seeing the fashions worn on the beach. Sadly here in Scotland each summer sees drowning accidents in rivers and lochs, bringing sadness to the family and the community. Your final fun photograph is spot on for this week's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know nothing about Gavelston and I loved the early photograph and seeing the fashions worn on the beach. Sadly here in Scotland each summer sees drowning accidents in rivers and lochs, bringing sadness to the family and the community. Your final fun photograph is spot on for this week's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandmother was awfully dolled up to be sitting on a log! These are great pictures. I'm sure we buried each other in the sand at one time or another, but I cannot find proof of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...