Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Pretty ladies

All dressed up and...

September 2009...Black Mountain, NC.


This lovely little lady from Sepia Saturday (HERE) has her hair perfectly in place...and her dress, and shoes and socks.  And she is probably writing a thank you letter to her grandmother.

All of which my mother strived to get me to do, to no avail!

But when I grew up I enjoyed having grown-up tea parties, where we had fun and acted somewhat like what we thought our mothers might have had in mind all along...some of us chose to even wear hats. 


These are photos of some women who got together on an afternoon to drink tea and eat dainty things. We also told some interesting stories, and I can't remember what the topics were, but there were lots of laughs!  I'm not going to try to list all their names.  Some of these wonderful women, so full of life and laughter here, have died since this afternoon tea party.





 The UUCSV banner stands for Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley



 Quote for today:


Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.
Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart.

MAYA ANGELOU

15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed having play tea parties when I was a child.I have a child's teaset used by my mother as a child, but I can't really imagine my adult mother at a tea party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for a Sepian with Brittish roots to tell me that he/she still drinks tea daily...though not perhaps a party.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of a memorable tea party and love that some of the women wore hats. And thank you for the inspiring quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for feeling inspired by the quote. I've just started listing one every day again.

      Delete
  3. I had a little tea set. My mother gave it to my daughter and over the years it broke. Another of my daughters used to talk about having an adult tea party but it never happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how we girls have played tea party, usually. But how many of us went to a High Tea with invitations etc? I may have once or twice, back in private school days. Thus the seed was planted to do finger sandwiches and various pastries. And what kind of conversations can you have? So we structured ours and asked everyone to take turns sharing some story or another, and that worked dandy. Of course our mistake was sitting in a circle, or maybe not.

      Delete
  4. No one is here forever, so you just have to enjoy life day to day, as everyone was at that tea party. Do you feature in one of those photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jo. I stayed behind the camera. But I do remember wearing a hat. And this was not long after I'd retired from being an Activity Director for senior citizens, so it felt like an extension of my career...of which I have finally let go completely.

      Delete
  5. The Mad Hatter loved his tea parties too. I like your surf and sand cups. Including a thumb button makes a mug much easier to control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made a Mad Hatter cookie jar once. Thanks for liking the mugs...I put a thumb knob with Celtic Cross on it on each of my mugs.

      Delete
  6. What a nice idea! I had two friends -- both gone now -- who enjoyed afternoon tea and occasionally I would make it happen --- little sandwiches and cakes and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea for friends. I have a weekly coffee date with one of my close friends, but it's pretty much the same thing!

      Delete
  7. I've attended several High Tea gatherings over the years and loved it all - the tea, the little sandwiches with the crusts cut off (cream cheese & cucumber being my favorite), the sausage rolls, the scones with clotted cream and jam, and the petit fours and biscuits. But best of all was the happy visiting between friends while doing something special and that's what all your pictures show most of all. Neat post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a child I never was interested in tea parties but that may be because my mother wasn't either. But now I quite enjoy getting together with female friends in a cafe or book group or quilting group. And there is a thing here called 'High Tea' where you pay rather more for a special lunch or afternoon tea (small cakes and sandwiches on beautiful plates etc) with a small group of friends or family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely memory for you. We still drink tea every day, sometimes twice, but we don’t have it as a meal. As a child my family would have tea at the weekend, with toasted crumpets/pikelets/teacakes by the fire.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...