Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, June 2, 2017

Trees and flowers

OK, I'll try to concentrate on my clay life again. I've had around 2 weeks away, first visiting an old (younger than me) friend, and then working at home, which is so hard in a 3 room apartment.

My old friend was the one who got me so interested in genealogy again, so I've had a great time pursuing the various things written about those ancestors....I hope my pottery friends have been patient with this.

Here are my friends the MudBuddies who sell their pots under the trees (and a canopy tent) every Saturday. Of course I go visit them still, and purchase lovely things from various Tailgate Market vendors.




Flowers just sell themselves, and tomato plants, and even a bit of a coleus!

My new basket of flowers, Million Bells.  So many colors.  This pic taken before my friend helped me put up the bracket on the post on the porch.
Million Bells, aka
"Calibrachoa has not been a part of our industry for very long; the first plants were taxonomically described in 1989 and the first cultivars released in 1992. The original plants were found in coastal areas clinging to rocks and surviving in some pretty harsh conditions, they so much resembled Petunias that they were originally referred to as 'Seashore Petunias'. Since their release in the early 90's this crop has grown faster than most other genera and become a major crop in its own right. The family tree of this genus reaches deep down into Latin America; almost all species can be found in either in Argentina, Brazil, or Uruguay. There are about 25 known species of this plant and the breeding of Calibrachoa is a complicated matter of finding which species will cross with the next.

Sepia Saturday has a tree for it's subject...I started with trees, and went into flowers.


This may look like just another old tree, but it isn't. According to the comments on the Flickr page of Cornell University digital collection - of which this Victorian albumen print forms a part - this is a photograph of the oak tree near Leamington which marks the geographical centre of England. As a Sepia Saturday prompt it might lead you in the direction of trees, or the centre of things, or fences, or things which turn out to be more than they seem to be. As always, the choice is yours. All you need to do is to post your post on or around Saturday 3rd June and then add a link to the list below.


More clay featured tomorrow, I promise!

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely place to sell one's wares - and equally lovely to those who come to peruse and, hopefully, buy. I love to browse through canopied 'stalls' like this as you never know what wonderful thing you might find that you never know you 'needed'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Tailgate market in Black Mountain runs all summer, and has fresh produce and other food items, as well as various local craft items, and plants etc.

      Delete
  2. Just the sort of craft market I’m drawn to, and what a lovely woodland setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely setting, donated by a local church all summer long.

      Delete
  3. Where I live there are occasional art fairs that include pottery, but I don't think there are any outdoor sales devoted just to pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Tailgate Market does have lots of other items, and the Mud Buddies are the only vendor selling pottery. I just heard about one that will be held in Asheville (nearby) in the fall, just pottery. I don't plan to compete to enter, but will probably go see it!

      Delete
  4. I always am attracted to a market and yours is in such a lovely setting. I would be there in a flash if I lived nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That flower is new tome -- pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I wish our weekly market was under the trees instead of a parking lot. But this does look like a local apple fair that is held each summer beneath the old California oaks. And the flower box is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I want to go to that market. Love events like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...