Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Sunday, July 24, 2016

By the Waters of (Avalon) Babylon

Don McLean wrote this, (and sang it in concert on a CD which I have).
Listen to the same recording here.

By the waters
The waters of Babylon
We lay down and wept
And wept for, thee Zion
We remember, thee remember
Thee remember, thee Zion

By the waters
The waters of Babylon
We lay down and wept
And wept for thee Zion
We remember, thee remember
Thee remember, thee Zion

By the waters
The waters of Babylon
We lay down and wept
And wept for thee Zion
We remember, thee remember
Thee remember, thee Zion

I certainly "misheard" these lyrics.  I heard the "waters of Avalon."  I heard "These I am," instead of  "Thee Zion."  

But it was a nice melody, and did have the poignant quality of grieving for something that is lost. For me it's the magical place and the waters of purity...based on mishearing lyrics!

By the Waters of Babylon (link to a summary) was a short story by Steven Vincent Millet, published in 1937. It speaks so truly still today, of a civilization lost and ruined by greed, and another tribal civilization with superstitions, the forest people.

Here's an audio reading of Steven Vincent Millet's story By the Waters of Babylon. (39 min.)

I had not read the story, nor heard of it before mis-hearing the song.  Thus misconceptions are born.

Quote for today:
The meaning of life is to find your gift, the purpose of life is to give it away. 
Joy J. Golliver
Clink on link "comments" to add your comment. Unfortunately you need to have a blog, because I've had to stop taking anonymous comments.

1 comment:

  1. There is a great reggae version of this too -- maybe Bob Marley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...