Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Thursday, March 31, 2016

More Catawba Pottery Show (chapter 2)

I enjoyed following my eyes around the Convention Center in Hickory.  It wasn't until the next day that my lower back said I'd been walking on that concrete floor for a couple of hours.  But it was certainly worth the hour's drive over to Hickory from Black Mountain, NC.

Hog Hill Pottery, Vale, NC
I immediately thought "Rookwood potters" with the tree designs reminiscent of the Art Neuvo era.

 
Jugtown Pottery, Seagrove, NC
Jugtown Pottery, Seagrove, NC
I was impressed with the lifelike crows in the Jugtown Pottery display.

There were quite a few face jug pots throughout the show, maybve a 10th of the displays.  I wasn't really interested in face jugs, so won't be showing you any.

Cary Pottery, Cary, NC.

My friend introduced me to one of her favorite potteries, the Parmentiers.  This double booth featured some large well made pieces, all of which were glazed in subdued satin finishes.

Parmentier Pottery, Mars Hill, NC

Parmentier Pottery, Mars Hill, NC

Parmentier Pottery, Mars Hill, NC
This final picture is a design which I would like to try making.  A three sided planter, carved on exterior,  with a bird on each angle.



1 comment:

Thanks for your comments...